Butternut Squash Risotto


For next week's soup, butternut squash will be one of the main ingredients. I had a lot leftover, so I was looking for something do with it and found this recipe from Rachael Ray.

Ingredients:
-16 oz vegetable stock
-1/2 cup water
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, grated or chopped
-1 cup rice
-1/2 cup dry white wine
-5 ounces butternut squash
-Nutmeg, to taste
-1 tablespoon butter
-7 or 8 leaves fresh sage (about 1/4 teaspoon dried)
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

(This is half of the original recipe, which made 6. I had a lot of leftovers with this even, and it barely fit in my largest frying pan.)

Heat oil in a pan, and add garlic (and onion if you want) for about 2 minutes.
Add the rice and toast for another 3 minutes.
In a separate pan, start heating the vegetable stock and water.
Add the wine and let sit until there is no more liquid.
Add a few ladles of the vegetable stock/water mix at a time.
Once the liquid is mostly gone (3-4 minutes) add a few more.
The whole process should take about 18-20 minutes.
As you add the last of the vegetable stock, add the squash and nutmeg.
For the squash, the original recipe called for frozen boxed squash. I took my squash and put in
it the oven for about half an hour, long enough to make it soft enough to cut into small pieces.
After most of the liquid is gone, add butter sage and cheese and
cook for another minute.

The squash didn't have as much taste as I expected, but the flavor of the rice was really good and made up for it, I liked the sage and the nutmeg, I'll probably try another rice recipe soon.

Comments

Popular Posts