Red Velvet Pancakes



J and I share a mutual love of red velvet cake so whenever I come across a red velvet recipe I feel compelled to make it. I found this recipe on Pinterest, but you can find the original here

Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons red food coloring
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used mini, but you can use any)

Buttermilk is a necessary ingredient in this recipe, but if you're like me you probably don't have any on hand. A little less than one cup of milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar will achieve the desired effect -- just let the "buttermilk" sit for five minutes.

More Red Velvet Inspired Recipes:
Red Velvet Crepes
Red Velvet Poke Cake

Sift together the dry ingredients. 

Add the wet ingredients and combine.

Cook pancakes in a skillet or on a griddle. 
Flip once you see bubbles. 
Yum! 
Lots of mini red velvet pancakes.
Serve with desired toppings, J. ate his with a little butter and powdered sugar.
As you can see the pancakes didn't stay red when they were cooked, but I think a little extra food coloring would fix that. These pancakes were light and fluffy and chocolate for breakfast is never a bad thing. These were a hit with J. and his roommates and will be added my recipe collection.

Comments

Popular Posts