Egg Nest Cupcakes



I've had a book of cupcakes for a few years, but all the cupcakes in it look so fancy that I've been afraid of how complicated they might be, so I've haven't really used the book much. But recently I've been doing a lot more cooking at baking, I thought I might be a bit better at baking now so I thought I'd try this really cute Easter cupcake. The book is just called "Cupcakes" and it is by Hamlyn. I also watched this great youtube video to learn to make the chocolate flakes for the top.

Check out our earlier Easter blog Peep S'mores, and look for other Easter recipes in the next two days.

This makes 12 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
Cupcakes
-1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter
-1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
-1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (I used all purpose flour plus 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt)
-3 eggs
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Frosting
-3 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate
-2 Tbsp milk
-1/4 cup butter
-3/4 cup powdered sugar

- Extra chocolate to make the chocolate flakes for the top
-Chocolate eggs for the top

Mix the cupcake ingredients together with a blender for 1-2 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.
Make the chocolate flakes for the top.
Melt chocolate. Spread out the chocolate on a cold surface.
I covered my counter with saran wrap.
Spread out the chocolate pretty thin.
Once the chocolate hardens, scrape it up with a spatula.
It should break into small shards.
Make the fudge frosting. Add the chocolate, milk, butter
to a pot, and melt on medium heat. Once it has melted, take it
off the heat and mix in powdered sugar.

The book says to frost while the frosting is still warm, but I found
that mine was really thin, and it was much easier to spread after
I let it stand for 15 minutes or so. 
Take the cupcakes out of the oven.
Frost.
Break up the chocolate flakes and add them to the top, leaving a hole in
 the middle for the eggs. It is best to do this before the frosting hardens
 so it can stick. Add two or three eggs to the center of the nest.
I tried to break up the chocolate to look like a nest.

These cupcakes were really cute for Easter, and everyone who tried them really liked the cupcake and the frosting recipe. They of course didn't look quite as good as the picture in the book, but they still looked like a nest with eggs. They definitely tasted goo though, all the chocolate on top was balanced out with the vanilla cupcake.

Comments

Popular Posts