Fried Rice Style Mac & Cheese


J. graduated from college yesterday!! I am so proud of him and very happy that we're both done with college now (although I'm still in graduate school).

Ready for the next chapter in our lives!
Now that J is graduated and moving back home I will not be seeing him as much since he lives an hour away, I also will no longer be occasionally cooking in a college kitchen!! That's the one part that I love, so expect the same great recipes, just in my kitchen with a well stocked pantry and cooking utensils. 

The recipe for today is really great for a weeknight dinner, especially if you've had a long day because it doesn't take too much effort, but there's a big pay off. I made this for J. and my dad -- we all had seconds.
It's Mother's Day today so you're probably not doing a whole lot of cooking, but make this recipe for your mom after she's had a long day at work instead of getting take-out. That will give her a break from dinner duty and save some money. She'll appreciate it!

This recipe comes from The Noshing Bride.

Ingredients:
-1 (8-ounce) package macaroni, cooked al dente
-2 cups milk
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt.
-3 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup for topping)
-2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
-4 eggs, scrambled and chopped into bits
-3/4 cup peas
-3/4 cup diced carrots
-4 scallions, diced
-Cooking spray

Mix together the milk, flour and salt. Pour over the cooked pasta and add the cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.

Mix all of the ingredients in a greased 9x13 pan and stir to distribute the ingredients.
Top with additional cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350 or until golden brown.
Add any additional seasoning that you'd like, I added some chili powder for a kick.

This was a big hit at my house, the flavors went really well together. I didn't feel as bad eating all of the pasta since there was vegetables in this too. My dad and I both took the leftovers home for lunch and this was equally as good the next day, I always appreciate a recipe which is lunch ready the day after.

Comments

Popular Posts