Mango Coconut Rice


Originally, this was supposed to be an elaborate recipe where I cut mango thin and used a sushi mat to roll up the rice inside the mango. Obviously that didn't work, but this turned out to be a nice dish anyway. I don't think I've ever used coconut milk before, the consistency was a little different than I thought, and it was also much sweeter than I thought, and didn't taste like shaved coconut like I thought it would.

This recipe was originally on She Simmers.

Ingredients:
-1 mango
-1/2 cup rice
-1/2 cup coconut milk
-1/2 cup sugar


Add half a cup of rice with a cup of water, and heat covered
for 15 minutes.
Mix the sugar and coconut milk, and microwave
for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat off the rice. Stir the coconut mixture into the rice.
Let this sit covered for 30 minutes.
Peel the mango. I used a potato peeler, that worked
pretty well for me, and I thought I didn't lose as much
mango as I would have if I used a knife.
Slice the mangoes into chunks or slices.
This was my attempt to make it into a sushi like roll.
It rolled up ok, but when I tried to cut it up it fell apart.



So not much of a roll up, but the taste combination was still very good. This was more of a dessert I think than a meal, it was really sweet. The mango and sweet rice went together well, the combination of coconut milk and mango is something I will try again.

This was my first try using my sushi rolling mat, sometime soon I'll be making a vegetarian sushi roll.

Comments

Popular Posts