Chestnut Chocolate and Hazelnut Cannoli


I've seen a ton of cannoli recipes on pinterest, but I've never made cannolis before. So I bought some cannoli maker tubes, they were really cheap, so that I could try them out. This was the first attempt, I'm sure there will be many more to come.

This recipe comes from Baking Obsession.

Ingredients: 
For the cannoli shells:
-2 cups flour
-2 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
-½ tsp ground cinnamon
-½ tsp salt
-3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
-1 tsp  white wine vinegar
-1/2 cup red wine 
-1 egg white
-Vegetable oil for frying
-1/2 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts
-Confectioners’ sugar for garnish

For the chestnut filling:
-8 oz unsweetened chestnut puree
-¼ cup fine granulated sugar
-1/8 tsp salt
-8 oz ricotta cheese
-8 oz mascarpone cheese
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
-2 oz toasted hazelnuts, chopped

Use a wooden spoon to mix together the shell ingredients. Knead on a floured surface. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Roll out the dough, and cut it so it fits on the cannoli tubes. The original recipe suggested rolling into ovals first I had a lot of trouble with this, I kind of just smooshed them on the tube until it fit, but they got really uneven.This is the part I'll need to work on when I try these again.

Deep fry at 360, for about 2 minutes. When they cool a bit, slide them off the tubes.




Mix the filling. We used a plastic bag to pipe the filling
into the cannoli.
Fill and serve immediately.




The filling we made tasted really good. I thought the shell tasted good too. I would recommend this recipe. I just need to work on making them look a little better, but I think more practice, or possibly using the pasta maker to roll the dough next time will help with that.

Comments

Popular Posts