Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup



This soup was really thick and filling, you don't need to eat a lot of it to make a meal. Don't be turned off if you don't like jalapenos or if you don't like beer, because the taste of either one was not strong enough in this soup to be overwhelming, it was just enough to give the soup some flavor.
Other Soup Wednesday Posts so far this year: Pumpkin Black Bean Soup and Caprese Soup.

This recipe is adapted from Closet Cooking. I took out the bacon to make it vegetarian, and cut it in half, this made enough soup for 2.

Ingredients:
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1 celery stalk, diced
-1 jalapeno, diced
-1 tsp garlic
-1 Tbsp butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1/2 can beer
-1 cup vegetable broth
-1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp mustard
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-cayenne, salt, pepper


Heat oil in a pot. Cook the celery and jalapenos for 10 minutes until soft.
Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the butter, and when it is melted, add the flour, cook for 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and beer, cook for 10 minutes.
Add the cream, cheese, and mustard.
Season with Cayenne, salt and pepper.
I saved a few jalapenos for garnish.


This was really thick, it worked as a soup, but I think next time I need a pretzel dip, this would work fantastic. I ate this with a lot of crackers, I think any kind would work, I used toasteds.

Comments

Popular Posts