Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup


Happy Soup Wednesday!! There are only two more left before we move on to something cool at the end of February, we'll keep you posted.

I love slow cooker recipes, but since I'm usually cooking for just myself, I prefer to use the 1.5 quart slow cooker as opposed to some of the larger models which can make 6-8 servings. I cut this soup recipe in half in order to make it in the 1.5 quart slow cooker and it made about three or four servings of soup.

I just served this with some toast, but it would be awesome served with grilled cheese or even grilled cheese croutons.

Other Soup Wednesday Posts: Pumpkin Black Bean Soup, Caprese Soup, Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup, Tomato Basil Avocado SoupSouthern New Year's Day Soup, Hungarian Mushroom Soup and Chilled Avocado & Cucumber Soup.

Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Ingredients:
-1 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
-1/2 cup finely diced carrots
-1/2 cup finely diced onion
-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/2 tablespoon dried basil
-2 cups vegetable broth
-1 bay leaf
-1/8 (2 tablespoons) butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
-1 cups fat free milk, warm
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.) In a small slow cooker combine the tomatoes, carrots, onion, oregano, basil, vegetable broth and bay leaf. Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
2.) 45 minutes before serving, remove the bay leaf and discard. Then melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour whisking continuously until the mixture is golden and bubbly. It may appear crumbly, that's fine!
3.) Slowly ladle into the saucepan a ladleful of the hot soup from the slow cooker. Whisk until smooth and bubbly. Do that two more times. Pour the mixture back into the slow cooker.
4.) Add the Parmesan, warm milk, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on low.


Serve with croutons or with grilled cheese.

The basil flavor in this was pretty strong, if I made this again I would add about half of the basil. Overall I thought that this was really good, I split it with my brother who also enjoyed it. The one bowl of leftover soup that I had thickened up a lot in the fridge, but it reheated back to soup pretty well without needing additional broth added. You'll just need to microwave it for a good amount of time, I did it for about one and a half minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts