Slow Cooker Greek Lemon and Rice Soup


You've seen a lot of slow cooker recipes this month because that was the easiest way for me to recipe test during finals week.

Today is the last day of my summer class and I am so relieved. I had a really great time and it was an awesome learning experience -- but I have a two to three hour trial to put on today for my final class project. Send good thoughts my way!

Recipe from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.

Ingredients:
-6 cups of vegetable broth
-3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
-1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
-3 egg yolks
-1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Garnish with lemon zest and/or slices

1.  Add vegetable broth, rice and parsley into slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours
2.  Turn slow cooker to LOW.
3.  Whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice.  Add a ladle of soup into the egg yolks. This is to temper the soup and prevent the eggs from cooking too quickly. You don't want scrambled eggs! Whisk.  Add all back into the slow cooker.
5.  Cover and cook on LOW for another 10 minutes.
6.  Add salt and pepper.  Serve garnished with lemon slices.

  
I was a little disappointed in this recipe. It was really just okay. The flavor was lemony, but the texture was pretty off putting to me. It was like oatmeal...I don't like oatmeal so that could be contributing to that. The flavor was a little bland too. Not sure if this is one I would make again.

Comments

Popular Posts