Slow Cooker Veggie Joes



Now that it's summer my schedule still doesn't ease up at all. Using the slow cooker is a perfect way for me to ensure that dinner is ready when I get home with minimal effort on my part. Using the slow cooker also means that I will have leftovers for lunch the next several days or for dinner instead if I don't feel like cooking.

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.

Ingredients:
-1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
-1 1/2 cups uncooked regular brown rice
-1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
-2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-2 14 1/2 ounce cans vegetable broth
-8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
-1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
-8 cibatta rolls

 Assorted toppers, such as chopped tomato, coarsely shredded lettuce, or onion slices (optional).

In a slow cooker combine carrots,  uncooked brown rice, onion, brown sugar, salt, garlic, and cayenne pepper. 

Stir in broth.

Cover and cook on high 3-3 1/2 hours.
Stir in mushrooms, tomato sauce, and vinegar.
Cover and cook on high-heat setting for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve on a bun and with additional toppings if desired.

We served ours with shredded lettuce and sliced onion.


This recipe was a little disappointing. It wasn't as full of flavor as I would have liked, between this sandwich pictured and the leftovers I experimented with adding different sauces and nothing really helped. Dave said he thought that the sandwich overall was too starchy -- part of that was probably because we left out the lentils that were in the original recipe because I'm not a big fan of lentils. 

Comments

Popular Posts