Buffalo Tofu Tacos with Jicama Slaw



On our first date Dave and I went to a restaurant in a nearby city. I've already recreated the Spiked Hummus that we split as our appetizer. This recipe is the meal that I ordered. The tofu on the original tacos was pretty crispy, it was probably deep fried. I pan-fried this tofu to give it a little bit of a coating, but nothing crazy.

This is also the 700th post here at Vegetarian & Cooking! check out the "Milestones" tab above for other great "Milestone" blogs.


Inspired by the Buffalo Tofu Tacos at 91. 

Ingredients:
-1 block extra firm tofu
-Taco sized tortillas
-Oil, for frying

Jicama Slaw
-Jicama
-Lemon Juice
-Parsley
-Salt and pepper
-Dried parsley

Blue Cheese Sauce
-Blue Cheese
-Milk

You'll want to press the extra water out of the tofu to do this put the tofu on a plate layered with a paper towel. Place another paper towel on top and weigh down the tofu with a heavy object. Do this for about 15 minutes. Then cube the tofu.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Place all of the tofu cubes into the oil. Fry until golden on all sides.



To make the slaw: Peel and then julienne the jicama. Toss with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper.

To make the blue cheese sauce: heat about 3 ounces of blue cheese in a small sauce pan with an equal amount of milk. Whisk continuously until the blue cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.

Once the tofu is cooked, toss in buffalo sauce. You just need enough to coat all of the tofu slices.

Layer the buffalo tofu, jicama slaw and blue cheese drizzle on a taco shell. Top with parsley.




I don't pay too much attention to amounts when I'm making my own recipe for something, but I will try to start! The jicama slaw and buffalo sauce do not need to be exact amounts of ingredients. I thought this recipe was really great though. The spiciness of the tofu is complemented by the tangy blue cheese sauce and the bright notes of citrus. If the tofu would have been crispier this would have been spot on to the tacos I had at 91, but all of the flavors were there. Dave and I enjoyed this one.

Comments

Popular Posts