Vegetarian New England Baked Beans



Baked beans are incredibly tasty, but usually include some sort of pork. This version is vegetarian and a crock pot recipe! Save yourself some time at your next cook-out and make the baked beans ahead of time for one less recipe to worry about. This is another recipe that we enjoyed while in New England last month visiting Dave's family -- both vegetarian and non-vegetarians alike enjoyed this.

Ingredients:
-8 ounces navy beans
-1 onion
-4 tablespoons molasses
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon pepper
-1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
-1/16 teaspoon cloves
-1/8 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup ketchup
-1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire*
-1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
-1 1/4 cups hot water


*Depending on how strict you are with your vegetarian diet or if you are vegan, you may want to find an anchovy-free Worcestershire. I consider this ingredient along with some cheeses, beers and marshmallows to be more of a grey area for me, please check out my FAQ's page to learn more about that if you are interested. I try to be respectful of the dietary choices of others, as I hope people are of mine.

Soak 8 ounces of beans over night. In the morning drain and rinse the beans. Simmer the beans in 2 inches of water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse again. Mix the beans with all of the other ingredients in a large crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

I haven't eaten baked beans in over eight years (since becoming a vegetarian), but these were spot on with how I remember them tasting when I was a child. This is a recipe I will be using again.

Comments

Popular Posts