Hot Dogs with Cheddar and Sautéed Apples


Dave despises my vegan bacon, he tolerates my frozen veggie burgers, but vegetarian hot dogs? It turns out that he's all about those. I found these in the refrigerated vegetarian section of my grocery store (sometimes they are in the frozen section).

Recipe from Food and Wine.

Ingredients:
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-3 large Granny Smith apples—peeled, halved, cored and cut into scant 1/2-inch wedges
-3 tablespoons light brown sugar
-Pinch of cinnamon
-6 vegetarian (or vegan) hot dogs, cooked according to package directions
-6 hot dog buns
-3 ounces thinly sliced sharp cheddar cheese

In a small skillet melt the butter.

Saute the apples until softened, stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon.

Put the hot dogs on the buns, surround with cheese and top with apples. Place in a preheated oven (doesn't really matter what temp, you just want to melt the cheese) and serve once the cheese is melted.




Dave and I both really liked this recipe. It's been a long time since I ate regular hot dogs, but Dave seemed to think that the veggie ones stacked up pretty good. The sweetness of the apples paired well with the savory flavors of the cheese and hot dog. The original post suggested serving these on pretzel buns, however, I have a difficult time finding those at my grocery stores -- I think it would have been very good with this though. 

Comments

Popular Posts