Golden Avocado Sushi


My best friend got us a sushi rolling mat for Christmas (this silicon sushi mat from Bed, Bath and Beyond is the one I'm using) and I'm super excited to adventure into rolling my own sushi. Due to the fact that Dave and I don't eat fish or seafood, a lot of these would be considered vegan sushi rolls as opposed to vegetarian sushi rolls since many vegetarians consume fish/seafood.

Recipe from Healthy Happy Life.

Ingredients:
-2 nori wraps
-1 cup cooked sushi rice
-1/2 teaspoons tumeric
-1/4 teaspoons tamari
-2 teaspoons maple syrup
-1/2 avocado thinly sliced
-8-10 strips bell pepper, thinly chopped
-2 teaspoons rice vinegar
-pinch ginger, grated

In a small bowl, combine the rice, turmeric, maple and tamari. Toss well until the rice is bright yellow
Lay a nori wrap flat on your sushi mat and spread 1/2 cup of rice  over about two-thirds of the surface, you'll want to spread the rice to the side edges and to the edges closest to you. Add about a few avocado slices and 4-5 bell pepper slices. Drizzle one teaspoon of rice vinegar over top and add the ginger.

Take the sushi mat and lift the nori and rice closest to you up and over the filing. Squeeze the mat to help distribute the ingredients evenly. Remove the mat and wet the end of the nori on which there is no rice, now finish rolling the sushi roll onto that piece of nori. I used this video from Kikoman to help me understand what I was doing since I'm more of a visual person, check it out to see a visual of what you're doing.
Repeat the above process with the remaining ingredients, then slice and serve. 



My sushi rolls weren't 100% perfect, but I thought they turned out pretty good overall. The tumeric rice was a fun addition and added a nice pop of color to the inside of the sushi. Avocado rolls are part of our go to sushi order, so having the ability to make it at home makes me pretty happy. We served this with a little low sodium soy sauce, but you can easily purchase wasabi and pickled ginger at your local grocery store to improve upon your homemade sushi experience.  

Comments

Popular Posts