6 Ingredient Roasted Tomato Soup

 

I made this the night we made the Red Wine Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini. The weather was really chilly and rainy, so it seemed like a nice fall-like dinner to make. It also used eight of our tomatoes!

Unfortunately this soup received mixed reviews. Dave enjoyed it, I wasn't a fan of it. I'm not sure if it was the texture (maybe I should have thinned out the soup), or something else. I ended up eating it with crushed smoked gouda crackers in it which helped. I thought adding pesto to the soup as opposed to fresh herbs was a really smart idea and not something I would have thought of doing.

The grilled cheese we made was pretty standard, except for the cheese was a mustard seed cheese I picked up at the grocery store. I love to add mustard to my grilled cheese, so the tangy cheese was a nice addition to the grilled cheese and paired well with the soup.

Recipe from Half Baked Harvest

Ingredients: 
-6-8 heirloom tomatoes, quartered
-1 small sweet onion, quartered
-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
-kosher salt and pepper
-1 cup whole milk, plus more to thin
-1/3 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

In a large baking pan, combine the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes or until the tomatoes just begin to char and release their juices. Let cool slightly.

Transfer the roasted tomatoes and onions and their juices to a medium soup pot and and add the milk. Puree until smooth using an immersion blender. Place over medium heat on the stove. Stir in the pesto and season the soup with salt and pepper. Thin with more milk if desired, we did not do this step, but if you like your soup not as thick it's worth it. 

To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and serve with a grilled cheese on the side. 



Comments

Popular Posts